Monday 7 November 2016

Giving Until It Hurts, or Hurting Until You Give?



I was going to write today about books that have affected my life significantly, but as I sat down to do that, the doorbell rang.  And rang. Followed rapidly by hard, impetuous knocking. My curiosity aroused, I answered the door to be greeted by two young men, one of whom seemed excited to tell me about “I am a girl.” I looked at his whiskers and exclaimed “I don’t think you’re a girl.” That went right over his head, or maybe under his gesticulating arms. He wasn’t ready to hear from me: he hadn’t finished reciting the script. He told me that Victoria was the second busiest human trafficking city in Canada and that they were there to “stop it at the source”. I surveyed the front yard and said “This is NOT the source!” That knocked him off his stride for a split second, but like a true professional, or an audio recording, he got right back into it.

Once he was done, he paused like he was going to a commercial, but then I realized what he had given me WAS the commercial, and if I would get on the phone with someone to whom he would connect me, I could donate $25 and someone would match that with $100. Funny, but now that I think of it, he didn’t say $100. He said “4 to 1.” I wonder now if that can mean something else.

Well, I wasn’t about to give credit card info to someone with whom he was going to connect me. I would have no way of verifying who that was. So I asked for the website at which I could donate online.  The eagerness deflated like air going out of a balloon. If I did that, the matching funds wouldn’t apply, the youthful salesman said. That’s when I got even more suspicious. I mean, if someone was matching my donation, why would they care how the money was received. Something seemed amiss. And the whole time I was wondering how money given to some stranger on a phone was going to stop human trafficking across town.

After reviewing some online comments by people tired of the I Am A Girl nuisance, it seemed obvious that a significant part of any contribution was going to go to commissions for the fellows at the door and to the company that employs them --- commissions they wouldn’t earn if I donated online. Further, it appears that if had I played along, the $25 would have been a monthly credit card payment. And you can guess how hard it would have been to stop those payments.

But the internet search didn’t happen immediately because about 5 minutes after I thought I was done with the canvassers, the doorbell and incessant knocking began again.  This time my wife answered it. More I Am A Girl Canvassers. She is much better at getting rid of them than I.



2 comments :

  1. Humorous and well handled. Its funny how often people who go door to door are unable carry on any sort of conversation that goes beyond their script.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we don't give them the chance for fear that they won't shut up after that. At least a script is finite.

    ReplyDelete