Sunday 7 January 2018

The Darkest Hour



This evening I saw the new Churchill movie. Gary Oldman plays Churchill well. Just like Albert Finney played Churchill well. Just like Richard Burton played Churchill (and any other character) well. Just like Robert Hardy played Churchill well. Come to think of it, EVERYONE plays Churchill better than Winston did. They are all better orators. The man was a superb writer, particularly of speeches, but he didn’t present them as well as these gifted actors.

The current movie is unlike others I’ve seen in that Churchill wrestles with doubts in this one. Yes, doubts. As any intelligent man would, so it is realistic. In the end, all are resolved, and the story wraps up nicely, albeit in late spring of 1940.

We see a lot of the Anthony Eden character in this movie, with ne’er a hint of the tragedy of that man’s prime ministership, which failed over the Suez Canal crisis. That crisis broke Eden and made Lester Pearson who went on to become one of Canada’s most outstanding prime ministers.

1 comment :

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think John Lithgow did an outstanding job of portraying Churchill in The Crown. Even so, I believe that Churchill was one of the most extraordinary leaders who ever lived. And, like his American counterpart (FDR), the old recordings of his oratory still evoke an emotional response - still have the power to inspire.
    I finally got to see Dunkirk last night, and I must say that I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't at all what I was expecting from one of the great stories of all time - talk about something to inspire! Anyway, I hope I get to see The Darkest Hour soon.

    ReplyDelete