Friday 19 January 2018

Octopus in the Hotel

We have for some time been patronizing the Best Western hotel chain. Years ago I would frequent the Fairmont and Four Seasons chains and I was also a sucker for any hotel with the word "Grand" in its name. Much like the word "Bistro" in a restaurant name stills grabs my attention. Ultimately I had to admit that while there is great comfort in a Fairmont or Four Seasons, there are other uses for the money. We support a number of young people around the world, trying to create options for them. (Poverty is not so much lack of wealth as it is lack of options.) When the cost of a hotel suite for one night can support a student in a developing country for a few months.....well, it's hard to justify the expense. So I started booking with the Holiday Inn chain, and sometimes various Hilton and Marriott properties. Gradually I drifted towards the Best Western because of its rewards program. Deep discounts and frequent free nights. 

Admittedly, the quality is uneven, and usually we need to eat offsite because we are fussier about our food than the people eating at the restaurants typically attached to a Best Western. That said, I have noticed that in the last few years we are more frequently finding appetizing food at Best Western connected restaurants than we used to. A stellar example is a superb restaurant we found at a Best Western in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

I am typing this from a Best Western suite. The hotel is just outside the centre of a major city and this suite with two bedrooms and a large living room and kitchen is costing us only $129 per night including taxes even though online booking sites were asking $244. We only paid for last night. The first two nights of our 3 night stay were free. Great deal in my opinion, but it relates to my diamond status in their rewards program. 

The suite comes complete with a laugh experience. We noticed that one of the bedrooms is a bit warm, and I think we found the source of the heat. 


On the plus side, the internet connection is really good!

Before checking out, I intend to show this pic to the receptionist. I'm curious about the reaction.

No comments :

Post a Comment