Sunday 15 April 2018

Still Game and Robot Wars


I was watching another episode of Still Game, and thinking about how I respond to some of the characters in it. 

I particularly like Winston, who is a kind of Donald Duck without feathers: he’s got a nasty temper and a knack for vengeance. And he makes me laugh. He can say such insulting things, and I think they are funny when in real life if I heard someone talk like that to someone, I’d feel sorry for the target. We make such a big difference between TV situations and real life situations, but need they really be so different? 


I wonder of Glasgow people have the experiences of confronting a Ned such as often happens in Still Game. And does every Ned have that nasal voice that they all have in that series? A Ned, by the way, is a Scottish term for a Non-Educated Delinquent.



 Shifting focus, I have been waiting for some time to see new productions of Robot Wars or Battle Bots. I am too lazy to dig deeply, but I wonder if guys like Ed Hoppitt and Graham Bone do remarkable things in other areas of engineering than antagonistic robots. Maybe getting involved in such engineering would be a good idea for the typical Ned. Competitors may have been Neds at one time, although I doubt it.

No comments :

Post a Comment