Monday 2 April 2018

Praise for Quaaout


I was able to stay at a special place this weekend. The Quaaout Lodge roughly halfway on the journey from Victoria to Calgary. Such a peaceful place staffed by people that seem to care about the guests. The rooms are well appointed, seem to be chemical free, and are really comfortable. The restaurant could be a Michelin restaurant. It’s good. The grounds are large and I enjoyed walking them.

 
I liked talking to the Indian (we now call them First Nations) staff. My experience with our Canadian Indians is that they are peaceful and gentle. I almost always enjoy my time with anyone aboriginal. I could name various ones I have personally known as guests in our home, but I don’t know that they’d want star billing in my blog. This peacefulness and gentleness, by the way, is noteworthy in view of the huge healing that still is taking place from the fallout of the residential school system. The last residential school closed in 1996. The abuse, which happened on so many levels, is more recent than we sometimes think. It’s still a big deal. The psychological trauma of that experience has to have sent ripples through the families of the victims. I’m talking mainly of their children. I find it very sad that hundreds of thousands were victims of a collaboration between government and so-called Christian churches. Frankly, it reminds me of the promise made by the teacher they call Jesus to come back and clean up the mess made by such people. I hope it’s soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment