Monday 9 October 2017

Andrei Gromyko, and How Did Stalin Die?



I have been reading Andrei Gromyko’s autobiography, Memories



When I was a kid, he seemed to me to be an enigmatic and cunning man whom I thought was probably rather cold and disciplined.  I have found him very engaging as a teller of his story. He was a man I probably would have valued as a friend. He seems to have been warm-hearted, humble, well-mannered, introspective, compassionate, focused and with a powerful intellect. In short, a fine man.

He tells, in his book, of Stalin’s death. My impression had been that Stalin died a painful death of poisoning (courtesy of Khrushchev) alone in his chamber, and that the servants were afraid to look in on him when he was late showing himself because they had suffered his wrath before. Gromyko says that Stalin died in the company of several Politburo members who were attending his bedside. I feel inclined to research this further. I wonder why I thought otherwise. 

No comments :

Post a Comment