Monday 26 December 2016

My Pain

The drive for security, pleasure and power, discussed at http://gordon-feil-theology.blogspot.ca/2016/12/my-addictions.html, are addictions.  They masquerade as “needs”, but I really have only a few physical and psychological needs. I read in I Timothy 6:8 “If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.” If I have what I need to eat and I have protection from the elements and other dangers, physically what else do I need?  Of course this takes for granted that I have fresh air to breathe and the rest and relaxation I need.  In addition, I am hard wired with the need to be loved and to be needed as William Glasser taught in his writings.   

Ken Keyes, Jnr, in various works, explained that these addictions trigger separating emotions. When I feel I am not getting my security, pleasure or power wants met, then I experience emotions that are me refusing to accept what is going on.  I might be afraid, bored, irritated, angry, or any of several other emotions that say I don’t enjoy it. 


No comments :

Post a Comment