Monday 23 September 2019

A Reason I Won't Vote Green: I Care About First Nations

It’s easy to see the charm of the Green Party. The Greens have some refreshing policies. For example, their national website describes that Greens want to “End Colonialism and Oppression of Indigenous Peoples.” I can’t fault that. I want that too. I have consulted with Indigenous Peoples, most extensively in regards to the contaminated water issue, and my heart aches over the anguish many have faced in regards to the social disruption and maltreatment of themselves and their relatives.

Nonetheless, the Green website promises action for the benefit of First Nations peoples. Yet it seems to me that it is easy to promise what you won’t be called upon to deliver. 

I am reminded of an enjoyable evening at a quality Italian restaurant in Calgary earlier this year. I was hosting three gentlemen of the First Nations business community, each of whom had a mirthful sense of humor. I forget what we were discussing, but it was an evening of laughter when somewhat out of context, the gentleman on my right, who is a bank and business advisor, soberly remarked that the only government that has ever helped the Indigenous Peoples of Canada has been a Conservative government. Immediately the other two, the CEO and CFO of a First Nations resource company, murmured their agreement, and one mentioned that the Liberals talk, but they don’t do. 

I don’t doubt that a Conservative government will help the First Nations of this country, and, unlike the Greens, the Conservatives will likely get the chance to do it. If not, then I expect the Greens to support the Liberal minority government and then we’ll see how much is really done for our First Nations fellow citizens. No, I won’t be voting Green.

No comments :

Post a Comment