Monday 8 May 2017

Vote for WHOM?



Tomorrow’s the provincial election here in B.C. I guess I’m supposed to vote, but it is a confusing choice. 

The parties have littered the landscape with their gaudy placards. Am I supposed to choose on the basis of placard color? I suppose I’d go Green then.

How about what the candidates say? I haven’t heard much of that. In fact, all I have heard is the liberal candidate, David somebody, saying in ads that he’s the right choice because he was in the Olympics. I have not been able to connect the dots on THAT one. He does have a very nice placard design though.

The plainest placard is the one sprinkled around town in favor of the Vancouver Island Party.  I was surprised when those appeared. One might be forgiven for thinking me too old to be surprised by anything, but sometimes……  Well, I went to their website. It doesn’t tell me a lot, but it does make clear that these folks want this island on which I live to be a separate province from BC. 

So what doesn’t it tell me that I might like to know? WHY we should be a separate province, for one thing.  How much will taxes increase to pay for a new and separate government?  That’s a lot of employees and bricks and mortar. Will we have to buy the Legislature from BC?  And all those other provincial government buildings also?   None of that is on that website so far as I have seen, but there is something about wanting to address climate change. Not sure what that party thinks it can do about stopping the climate from changing. Or maybe I misunderstood and they want it to change? Who knows?

The missing placard is for the Conservative Party. Apparently we don’t have a candidate in this riding. A big national party, and no candidate in this provincial riding.

Yeah, this is confusing.  

No comments :

Post a Comment