Tuesday 7 March 2017

Self-Driving Cars



What do you think about self-driving cars?  The state of the technology is beyond someone designing sensors and navigation systems.  Now what is being developed are cars that have A.I. that will enable them to learn to drive themselves ---- cars that will learn from their errors.

I am not well acquainted with the issues attendant to self-driving cars, but I suspect that three of them are probably accident avoidance, driver boredom, and passenger nervousness.

Accident avoidance would be a marketing problem more than anything, I think. One car making one fatal mistake would set back that industry segment more than all the human accidents have hindered the wider auto industry. We will forgive manifold fatalities from unskilled human drivers when we won’t accept even one from a computerized driver.

Part of the fun of driving is…well….….DRIVING.  If I get into a car and operate it almost like an elevator, where is the driving pleasure?

While the car drives, I think I’d be on edge and ready to grab the controls. It might be more stressful that doing the actual driving myself.  Eventually, maybe I could just read a book or close my eyes and sleep, but that would take a great deal of automated driving to relax me that much.

No comments :

Post a Comment