Tuesday 10 January 2017

Warming Oceans



I see from https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/make-no-mistake-earths-oceans-are-steadily-warming/512189/?utm_source=nl-atlantic-daily-010417 that a new study has confirmed that the surface of the oceans have been warming for the last 50 years.  As I outlined in http://gordonfeil.blogspot.ca/2016/12/climatologys-piltdown-man.html, I don’t know if it’s a big deal.  Earth is dynamic. Temperatures are not static. They have gone up and down in what appears to be cycles for millennia, and with the recent cold weather in this part of the world, I like the idea of global warming. I do have my doubts about how big of role man has played in the recent climb out from the Little Ice Age as the period from about 1500 to 1850 has become known.

I think that we can expect oceans to continue rising. They rose 20 cm. in the last 100 years.  And guess what.  They rose 20 cm. in the hundred years before that.  And oh!  Another 20 cm. in the century before that hundred years also.  And we are talking about some very cold years there. I do wonder though how oceans can rise through any other means than melting ice. Maybe through water being pumped from beneath the earth’s surface and then drained into rivers which run into the oceans?  What say you?

No comments :

Post a Comment