Sunday 24 November 2019

Call Me By Your Name


I saw the movie Call Me By Your Name, and was left with haunting what-if’s. I can see that the opportunity for a sequel is wide open, but I suspect that the artists behind the movie fully intended that the conclusion drawn by each audience member would serve as that viewer’s sequel.

Tim Chalamet is a very skilled actor. It was his performance in The King that prompted me towards Call Me By Your Name. I like how the subtleties of his facial expressions reveal so much. I have seen him in interviews, and he is the same there also. A smart boy too. A precocious personality. A going concern. I am eager to see his craft 20 or 30 years from now.

I didn’t like the character of Oliver, portrayed by Armie Hammer. Too American for me? Naw, I don’t think that’s it. Maybe too macho?  I don’t think so. Too selfish? Yeah, that may approximate the answer. Or maybe too independent. Too self-sufficient. Whatever he had, the character of Elio thought he was a hero. I expect that is believable in a boy with an ambivalent self-image.

I enjoyed the portrayal of mutual support within Elio’s family. A healthy, well-functioning family based on acceptance rather than rejection. A good place for Elio.

No comments :

Post a Comment