Thursday 14 March 2019

Share and Share Alike


I noticed that late last year (yes, I don’t always pick up on things right away), Olaf Scholz, German Finance Minister suggested that France give its UN Security Council seat to the EU…..a suggestion at which France quickly hooted. https://www.ft.com/content/84fb634a-f326-11e8-9623-d7f9881e729f

The French response underlines what I have written here before: Europeans are nationals of their own nations. They typically do not see themselves foremost as European. It would be very hard to find anyone willing to die for the EU so far as I can tell, but I expect many Frenchmen would be willing to die for France and man Germans for Germany. The EU is too artificial of a construct to have much traction with people’s loyalties, and for that reason, I expect it is doomed.

No comments :

Post a Comment