Thursday 17 May 2018

Catching Up


Lots of interesting news the past couple of weeks.

I see Israel is expecting an Iranian sponsored missile attack, probably not directly from Iran, but from proxies within Syria. News programs in Israel have been reporting warnings from defense officials concerning imminent missile attacks. I expect that such an event would precipitate a full-scale attack by Israel on the source of the missiles. Total demolition. We’ll see.

There have been huge snowfalls in mountainous places in Europe this month. I don’t mean inches. I mean meters. Military personnel are reported to have have been dispatched to find and rescue campers and hikers in the Pyrenees. The Alps between Italy and Switzerland are a problem too. It’s reminiscent of the Little Ice Age. I think we lose sight of the fact that during the Little Ice Age, there were many warm years in northern latitudes.  Weather was very fickle….given to extremes.

I’ve noticed in my 25 years of living in Victoria that our weather has gotten more extreme. It seemed in those earlier years that the daily high was at least zero (32 to you Americans) every day of the year, and it was unusual to have days where the temperature was over 30. Now I find that we have days where the high is well below freezing, and it is not rare to have summer days topping out in the mid-thirties. Sometimes the weather suggests global warming, while at other times an ice age seems more consistent with what is happening.

No comments :

Post a Comment