Sunday 11 February 2018

The Singularity



A popular topic with some commentators, thinkers, and books today is what authors call the singularity. It was Ray Kurzweil whose writings first introduced me to this concept. And the concept is that one day human consciousness can be uploaded into computers, and since the computers can be connected, consciousnesses will merge so that there is just one being. Today's authors seem to have mostly lost sight of that ultimate merging, having assigned the term Singularity to uploading consciousness to a computer, artificial intelligence ruling the world, and various other stages of the process that are short of Kurzweil’s vision.

One of the big issues with this whole view is how consciousness can be uploaded into a computer. It is suggested that the brain can be mapped slice by slice and cell by cell, so that an exact understanding and image of it can then be laid into a computer whose memory can be exactly mimicking what was mapped. The computer would at that point have the same memories, the same motivations, and the same behavior, as the human. People rejoice at the idea. Not me. For to me, someone making a copy of me in digital form has not perpetuated me. They have created a clone whose life would from that point depart from my own and would not be me. I would be in a position where I could stand outside of it and observe it, look at it, and so No, that wouldn’t be me even though we would have the same origin.

Suppose there was a way to transfer us into computer memories, where we could all access the same information and share our intelligences. Who would be paying for the power to keep the computer running, for the maintenance, and other costs associated with it? Would we have to work and render services to earn our keep? And if so, I can expect that the pay would not be very high because we'd all be doing it, and all offering the same sort of service, since we would all have the same abilities more or less. The concept of Singularity is interesting, but it seems to me there are too many bumps along the way for it to be a practical aim. There is something to be said for individuality. Vive la difference!!


No comments :

Post a Comment